HOLA! MAYI CARLES HERE.
I'm a tiny Panamanian artist with a T-Rex heart making a living on the Internet by being myself + owning my weird + sharing the lessons I've learned along the way, including the messy middle.
Whether you’ve feeling like a hot mess + you've hit a plateau + you’re overwhelmed by all the incompletes in your checklist + you’re looking for a smarter way to get where you want to go or you're simply in need of a friend who gets it, I'm here, as your personal pocket-size cheerleader to help you transform your life's hiccups into a story of triumph.
My flagship course Life is Messy Bootcamp® has helped 7,000+ girl bosses take their BIG ideas from lightbulb to done + reclaim their neglected bucket lists + recover from perfectionism + turn their multiple curiosities into a healthy money-making business.
Less to-dos. More ta-das.
I also create cute and quirky designs that make life easy and pretty. And people pay me money to do that. Amen!
Studied Art in Scuola Lorenzo de Medici in Florence, Italy. Received a dual Bachelor degree in Communication Studies + Art Theory and Practice with a minor in Art History from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. Completed a Masters in Art in Visual and Critical Studies from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in Illinois.
Have never submitted a resume in my life.
I've been featured on the cover of HOLA Magazine + U.S News + Huffington Post + CreativeLive + ArtfulBlogging + almost all predominant local publications. And have also collaborated with world-renowned brands like Polo Ralph Lauren + Adidas + Roxy + Kielh's + Kate Spade NY.
I'm still waiting on Oprah to call me.
HOME SWEET HOME
I currently live in tropical paradise with the love of my life David + our beautiful daughter Olivia, and work in a lil' nook of a studio overlooking the Pacific ocean filled with children's books + bunting flags + vintage toys + every color scissor imaginable + party props.
"Who the hell took my purple... Oh, here it is..."
21 totally random things about me you won't find by Googleing my name
- My real name is Maria Alejandra Carles Ferrer de Larrinaga, but please call me Mayi.
- When I was a little girl, I wanted to be an immigrations officer cuz I was obsessed with stamps. But! When I realized I couldn't wear my pajamas to work, I quickly changed my mind.
- Some days I eat salads + dance like a maniac. Other times, I have an entire pizza all to myself + refuse to put on pants. I call it balance.
- I’m T-E-R-R-I-F-I-E-D of lizards.
- I'm getting pretty good at winning hypothetical arguments in the shower.
- I watched too much Pinky and the Brain when I was little, hence the WORLD DOMINATION inclinations.
- Whenever I interact with people, I have to take a 4 hour nap.
- I overspend at Anthropologie.
- This is me in the car: Plays music. Sings lyrics. Sings backup vocals. Sings guitar riffs. Plays the drums with the stirring wheel. Head bangs. It's a live concert featuring: ME!
- My patronus is a unicorn.
- When someone is mean, I get this sudden urge to release glitter into the sky above their head + watch it shower over them like a baptism of kindness.
- One time, I illegally crossed the Canadian border inside a trash bucket.
- I have no tolerance for critics seating in the cheap seats. See something you think you can do better? DO IT. Do it + share it with us. Otherwise, shush your pie whole.
- I’ve always been slightly frightened of elevator doors.
- I carry a San Benito medal in my wallet to protect me from evil spirits.
- I hate it when I eat the last bite and didn't notice, so I couldn't mentally prepare myself and get closure.
- I like to make lists. I'm a compulsive check-mark-offer. I often jot down a task I've just completed just so I can get the immediate satisfaction of crossing it off. There. I said it. Sue me!
- Sometimes I just need hubby to hug me + say "I know it's hard. Everything is gonna be alright. I love you. Here's 6 million dollars."
- I'm still learning to love the part of myself that no one claps for.
- I'm nicer when I like my outfit.
- I just want to make beautiful things even if nobody cares.